More specifically, among the family of Corona-viruses, the current international concern is Covid-19. It’s all the rage to talk about. It’s also all the rage to panic over. Let’s debunk it a bit.
Covid-19 is a seriously potent virus. It spreads easily through touch and droplet, and all the more so since it is ‘new’ to humans. This means that we have few natural antibodies to it until we have been exposed to it. And it is a bit more concerning because it tends to settle deeper into the lungs, rather than staying up in the head.
So what are we to do about it?
Buy lots of toilet paper and rice? Well, I’ve always been a fan of having reserve supplies on hand. (You should have seen my basement in the months running up to Y2K!) So, sure – lay up some extras of the things we regularly need.
Wear a mask? Research says that they do not help prevent getting exposed. (They do help prevent spreading your own droplets if you do get sick.) But don’t panic.
While it has been interesting to see what fear has done, in such a short time, to so many facets of our economy. This is not likely to destroy our culture.
So, again, don’t panic, but locally there is a relatively short list of things we should be doing to avoid getting the virus, and to heal well if we are exposed to it. Let’s write the list:
- Wash your hands after you touch things that have been touched by others.
- Become aware of how often you touch your face – and stop doing that. Eyes, nose, mouth – keep your hands off, unless you just got done washing your hands.
- If you do get sick, don’t try to tough it out. Stay home for a few days.
- Stay warm. Your fever is a healthy part of your body’s attempt to kill off the viruses inside you. Don’t worry about a fever unless it gets above 104 or 105.
- Avoid Aspirin and Acetominophen when you have a fever. They have been shown to cause neurological complications.
- Keep your immune system strong. Here is a list of things that encourage that:
- Get adjusted at least twice a month.
- Drink at least a half gallon of water daily.
- Cut down on sugar.
- Take your vitamins:
- A good multi-vitamin
- Homeopathic and herbal remedies such as Echinacea, Garlic, Elderberry, and others.
- Daily, moderate exercise.
- 7+ hours of sleep each day.
- Recognize when fear wells up, and fight it with faith. God’s word offers promises of protection and healing.
It is a fine line to walk, between taking wise precautions and letting fear drive you. Fear, just like eating sugar, depresses your immune response. So choose wisdom, and reject fear.
We, at Delta Chiropractic Center, aim to help you get well and stay well.
Spinal care, nutrition, exercise protocols, let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in your health journey.
We are place of healing, where our patients are healthy and satisfied, and tell their friends all about it!